Using Tire Chains Tesla Model Y
For information on recommended tire chains, consult the Owner's Manual on your vehicle's touchscreen. Follow the tire chain manufacturer's directions and warnings before installing tire chains. Install them as evenly and tightly as feasible.
See Seasonal Tire Types.
When utilizing tire chains:
- Inspect them before each usage for loose fittings and damaged links.
- Don't over-load the Model Y (high weights can cause the clearance between the tyres and the body to decrease).
- If the chains are not properly mounted, do not drive the car.
- Take it slowly. Do not exceed 30 miles per hour (48 kilometres per hour).
- As soon as the weather permits, remove the tire chains.
Note: Some jurisdictions forbid the use of tire chains. Before putting on tyre chains, be sure you know the rules in your area.
Caution: The suspension, body, wheels, and/or brake lines can all be damaged by using non-recommended tire chains or tire chains on different sized tires. The guarantee does not cover damage caused by using non-recommended tire chains or poorly installing tire chains.
Caution: Do not use the tire chains on the front tires.
Caution: To put on tire chains, never deflate your tires. The chains may fit too tightly after being re-inflated, causing tire damage.
Caution: Ensure that the tire chains do not come into contact with the suspension or brake lines. Stop and examine immediately if you hear odd noises from the chains that could indicate Model Y contact.
Disclaimer: Tesla Inc. was not involved in the development of this document and did not provide any input or otherwise edit, review or authorize it.