Replacing the HEPA Filter Tesla Model S
If the vehicle equipped, it is recommended to replace the HEPA filter every 3 years (annually in China).
To replace the HEPA filter:
- Open up the hood.
- Remove the rear apron from under the hood.
- Both the left and right underhood aprons must be removed.
- Remove the front apron from under the hood.
- Release the drain hose from the cowl screen on each side of the HEPA filter inlet duct.
- Carefully detach the clamps (x3) that secure the HEPA filter inlet duct to the cowl screen with a trim tool. The input duct should be removed from the vehicle.
- Lift the HEPA filter output duct up and towards the front of the vehicle, then rotate it clockwise to release it. The exit duct should be removed from the vehicle.
- Fold the trunk seals back gently to separate the front of the carpet from the underhood storage unit, then disconnect the electrical connector from the underhood storage unit lights and emergency release switch. Connect the connectors to the underhood storage unit by running them through the carpet.
- Remove the carpet from the storage unit beneath the hood.
- Release the push clips (x2) that secure the underhood storage unit with a trim tool.
- Remove the bolts that connect the underhood storage unit to the car (x2). As a unit, remove the underhood storage unit and HEPA filter from the car.
Remove the HEPA filter's fasteners (x8) from the back of the underhood storage unit.
- Remove the old HEPA filter from the storage compartment beneath the hood.
- Install the new HEPA filter behind the storage unit under the hood.
Tighten the HEPA filter fasteners (x8) that secure it to the back of the underhood storage container (torque 3.5 Nm).
- In the front trunk, replace the underhood storage unit and HEPA filter component.
- Secure the underhood storage unit to the car by tightening the fasteners (x2) (torque 7 Nm).
- Push the underhood storage unit's push clips (x2) back into place.
- Replace the carpet in the storage unit under the hood.
- Electrical connectors should be routed through the carpet. Reconnect the electrical connectors for the underhood storage unit lights and the emergency release switch, then readjust the seal to prevent water infiltration.
- The HEPA filter outlet duct should be reinstalled.
- Reattach the HEPA filter inlet duct to the cowl screen with the clips (x3).
- Reattach the drain hose to the cowl screen on each side of the HEPA filter inlet duct.
- Close the hood after reinstalling the front, left, right, and rear underhood aprons.
Tesla, Inc. was not involved in the development of this document and did not provide any input or otherwise edit, review or authorize it.