Manually Releasing Charge Cable Tesla Model S
If the standard methods for removing a charge cable from the charge port (using the charge handle release button, touchscreen, or mobile app) fail, carefully follow these steps:
- Display the charging screen on the touchscreen to make sure the Model S isn't charging.
- Touch 'Stop Charging' if necessary.
- Open the trunk in the back.
- Open the flap on the trunk side trim's left side.
- To unlatch the charge cable, press and hold the manual release lever on the charging port towards the front of the vehicle.
Warning: The orange High Voltage cover should not be touched or attempted to be removed. Electric shock and serious harm can occur if these instructions are not followed.
Note: If the car hasn't got a charge port manual release lever, stop this procedure and contact your closest Service Center.
Note: The placement of the manual release lever may vary depending on market region.
- Pull the charge cable from the charge port.
- Close the flap on the left side of the trunk side trim.
Caution: The release lever is only to be used when the charge cable cannot be removed from the charging port using the standard techniques. Continuous usage of the release lever or charging equipment may cause harm.
Warning: If any orange high voltage conductors are exposed, do not execute this process while your vehicle is charging. Failure to follow these directions may result in electric shock as well as significant injury or vehicle damage. If there is any doubt about safely performing this procedure, contact your closest Service Center.
Warning: Do not attempt to disconnect the charging cable while simultaneously pressing the release lever towards the front of the vehicle. Before removing the charge cable from the charge port, always press and hold the release lever towards the front of the vehicle. Electric shock and serious harm can occur if these instructions are not followed.
Tesla, Inc. was not involved in the development of this document and did not provide any input or otherwise edit, review or authorize it.