The auxiliary Tesla key fob battery on Model 3 lasts about five years under typical use. A notice appears on the touchscreen when the battery is low. For the Tesla key fob battery replacement, follow these steps:
- How to open Tesla key fob: Release the bottom cover with the Key Fob button side down on a soft surface.
- By lifting the Tesla fob battery away from the holding clamps, it can be removed.
- Insert the replacement battery (type CR2032) with the ‘+' side facing up, avoiding touching the smooth surfaces of the battery. Note: CR2032 batteries are available from most retail outlets.
- Align the cover's tabs with the corresponding slots on the Key Fob while holding the bottom cover at an angle, then press the cover firmly onto the Key Fob until it snaps into place.
- By opening and locking your vehicle, you can make sure the key fob works.
A Model 3 Key Fob can be bought online at the Tesla online store.
Tesla, Inc. was not involved in the development of this document and did not provide any input or otherwise edit, review or authorize it.