Installing Mud Flaps and Splash Guards On Tesla Model 3
Follow these steps for the Tesla Model 3 mud flaps installation:
- Before installing, clean the installation area with alcohol and let it dry completely.
- To gain access to the working area, fully turn the steering wheel to the left.
- Remove the bottom push clips (x2) that secure the front wheel arch liner with a flathead screwdriver.
- Remove the bolt and washer from the front-most rocker panel bolt access cover.
- Remove the open access cover from the rocker panel with care, using scissors.
- TO INSTALL SPLASH GUARDS: Remove the splash guard's adhesive backing and position the splash guard with the mud flap so that the holes line up. Apply pressure along the mud flap to ensure it is fastened to the splash guard once it is positioned.
Note: If you drive on roads where salt, sand, or gravel are routinely used to improve road conditions, splash protectors are recommended.
- 1st GENERATION KITS ONLY: Install the U-nuts (x2) over the holes in the rocker panel while carefully lifting the lower piece of the front wheel arch liner away from the wheel well. Make sure the holes are all in the same place.
- 1st GENERATION KITS ONLY: Install the screws to fasten the mud flap/splash guard to the U-nuts in the front tyre arch liner after placing a washer over the screws (x2). Tighten the screws to a torque of 1.5 Nm (1 ft-lbs).
- 2nd GENERATION KITS ONLY: Line up the holes in the mud flap/splash guard with the holes in the front wheel arch liner, then push the push clips into the holes that have been opened (plastic rivets pulled out). Push the plastic rivets in to shut the push clips and secure the mud flap/splash guard in place once the push clips are fully inserted.
- Install the new bolt that connects the lower rocker panel cover to the bottom of the mud flap. Tighten the bolt to a torque of 5 Nm (4 ft-lbs).
Note: The left mud flap and splash guard were installed using this approach and images. The right-hand instructions are mirrored.
Tesla, Inc. was not involved in the development of this document and did not provide any input or otherwise edit, review or authorize it.